Saturday, May 31, 2014

Final Reading Response


 One of the best books I'v ever read was The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. It is 

about a girl with cancer who is seventeen years old. Her name is Hazel Grace. She reluctantly goes to 

a support group  (which she hates) for her mother. There, she meets a boy called Augustus Waters. He 

had his leg amputated, and is cancer free. Slowly they become friends, and then more. They share 

experiences together, like going to meet the author of Hazel’s favorite book called “An Imperial 

Affliction,” watching movies at Augustus’s house, and spending time with their other friend, Isaac. 

Through the book, Hazel struggles to deal with the effects of cancer. Hazel and Augustus were star-

crossed lovers, best friends, and guides to one another. However, Augustus gets cancer again, and 

slowly becomes a different person then he was before because of the cancer. Hazel doesn’t care and 

tries to help him get through it, and Augustus spent his last days together with Hazel.
    
     I thought this book was incredible and deeply emotional. This is one of the best books I’ve ever 

read.   John Green does a wonderful job of showing a very real side to illnesses, and also a very real 

side to teenagers in general. He doesn’t sugarcoat it, and puts it bluntly. The Fault In Our Stars shows 

with teens with cancer, but it is much more then that. It teaches us about loss. Hazel and Augustus are 

forced to deal with losses. John Green introduces us to characters that are asking big questions and 

dealing with big issues such as love, being forgotten after death, and cancer.
    
    One thing I was inspired by was how Hazel fought through cancer, and kept fighting and didn’t 

give up. On page 236, this quote shows how she is strong:

"When you go into the ER, one of the first things they ask you to do is rate your pain on a scale of 

one to ten, and from there they decide which drugs to use and how quickly to use them. I'd been 

asked this question hundreds of times over the years, and I remember once early on when I couldn't 

get my breath and it felt like my chest was on fire, flames licking the inside of my ribs fighting for a 

way to burn out of my body, my parents took me to the ER. The nurse asked me about the pain, and I 

couldn't even speak, so I held up nine fingers. Later, after they'd given me something, the nurse came 

in and she was kind of stroking my head while she took my blood pressure and said, "You know how 

I know you're a fighter? You called a ten a nine." (236 Green)

   I got inspired by that because she got through that pain, and she had to face it so many other times 

in the book, even when she’s doing things that most people would call simple, like going up the 

stairs. On page 199, she describes how hard it is to climb up the stairs.

“I began to climb the stairs, crawling up them like a little kid would, slow at first so I could breathe, 

but then faster because I knew I couldn’t breath and wanted to get to the top before everything else 

gave out. The blackness encroached around my field of vision as I pulled myself up, eighteen steps, 

steep as hell. I finally crested the staircase mostly blind and nauseated, the muscles in my arms and 

legs screaming for oxygen. I slumped seated against a wall, heaving watered-down coughs. There 

was a empty glass case bolted to the wall above me and I stared up through it and the ceiling and tried 

not to pass out.” (199 Green) To me, going up the stairs seems easy and not hard to do at all. I 

thought how hard Hazel’s life must be if something that simple affects her so much, and me, not at 

all. I learned to appreciate myself.

    There are many examples of archetypes in this book. Hazel and Augustus are warriors in the 

physical aspect because they deal with the effects of cancer, such as Hazel being rushed to the 

hospital, and struggling to do everyday simple things that we think are simple to us, but not to them. 

Augustus often has pain in his body due to his osteosarcoma coming back. Hazel's mother and father 

are the mother figures, because Hazel often turns to her for guidance and she they care very deeply 

for each other. I think Augustus is also the rebel and the avenger, because when Isaac was devastated 

from breaking up with Monica, Augustus told him to egg Monica's car. Also, when Augustus played 

video games with Isaac, he often sacrificed himself to save other peoples's lives in the video game. In 

a video game, your suppose to save the people without sacrificing yourself, but Augustus did the 

opposite. Patrick is a mentor, sort of like a teacher to Augustus, Isaac, and Hazel because he beat 

cancer and tries to help them with it. I think that Augustus and Hazel defeated the archetype of a 

typical teenager in real life, they aren't lazy or unwilling to do anything, they are the opposite. 
    
    Overall, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green was a great book which shows the lives of cancer 

patients, how they came to know each other and experience things with eachother, and how they 

became star-crossed lovers. It shows people that the world isn't pleasant, its straight to the point and 

forceful. 


Works Cited: 
Green, John. The Fault in Our Stars. New York: Dutton, 2012. Print.



No comments:

Post a Comment